Saturday, 7 June 2008

Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow…


Back in the early 70s I had a special way of listening to this record. My friend would bring it round, I would take the speakers off the wall, put them on the table and we would stick our heads between them and play it at high volume. It had some great panning stereo effects. Unfortunately, I’ve only managed to track down a mono version but it’s still undeniably great. This is Jon Pertwee ‘singing’ in character as Doctor Who. Jon Pertwee was my doctor; you would never catch him talking in a mockney accent (actually the only thing I have against David Tennant). I’ve had to track down a dodgy internet version of this because my friend Michael had his copy stolen and we’ve both spent years trying to track down a copy. (Somebody who went to Leeds University in the late 70s/early 80s is going to hell.)

mp3: Jon Pertwee - Who Is The Doctor

I recently discovered it’s on this compilation, so I should have a decent copy soon.

11 comments:

So It Goes said...

You tell 'em, Michael. The infamous Yorkshire Jon Pertwee Cash-In Nickers have been at it again. And it was on the same label as these
Funnily enough, I heard this once somewhere, so it's not totally new to me. There should be a series of compilation records dedicated to stars trading on their TV fame in this way. Maybe there is...

dickvandyke said...

Great stuff. He was my Doctor Who too! And the best girly assistants.

Rinjo Njori said...

I'm a Tom Baker guy because in the early 80s he was the only one they showed until they moved the series to PBS. Say what you will about David Tenant but the new show has legs which is refreshing after those really crappy 90s movies.

Mick said...

You're right, Stevie, it was on Purple records and it's rumoured that some of the band are playing on it.

Dick,
I'm a Jo Grant kind of guy.

Rinjo,
Tom was probably the best but he's not my favourite if that makes sense. And I like David Tennant - my boys assure me he's the best ever - I just don't like the accent.

dickvandyke said...

Did you ever see the later photo of Katy Manning naked with the dalek? She needed the dosh. Sad, but rather scrummy.

Mick said...

I have seen them. I'm not sure where they were originally published but they don't look like very high quality photos. I think you summed them up perfectly in four words.

I Am Not The Beatles said...

It could be worse, you could own the theme tune to Wurzel Gummidge sung by Jon Pertwee instead.

Altogether now :

You put a wur after 'W'
Put a Wur after 'o'
Put a Wur after 'R'
And it's away we go!


etc etc etc.

Like I do.

Mick said...

You're welcome to a cup o’ tea an’ a slice o’ cake anytime, Ian.

entrailicus said...

Godlike genius and soon to appear in a FadesinSlowly podcast!

Mick said...

I'll look forward to it. This deserves to be heard.

entrailicus said...

Here it be...

http://fadesinslowly.blogspot.com/2008/06/reverse-polarity-of-neutron-flow.html