Friday, 26 June 2009

Michael Jackson

So we’ve all heard the news by now and there’s nothing I can add to the millions of words already spoken and written except to reiterate remember the great music (pretty much everything from Jackson 5 to Bad and occasionally after) and don’t dwell on the media circus that was his later life.

On occasions like this everyone has a ‘how I heard the news’ story so, if you’ll forgive the indulgence, here’s the almost comical way I heard the news: Driving to work this morning for some reason I switched the CD player off to listen to the radio. It was tuned to Radio 2 and about 30 seconds of that Kennedy woman’s wittering was more than enough for me so I changed stations and spent the rest of my journey listening to Ben, arriving at work before it was finished. As I walked into the office the radio (which was tuned to an oldies station) was playing Got To Be There. If I gave it any thought at all I thought it was a coincidence. As the song finished the DJ said something like “The talent that was Michael Jackson” which I took to be his way of saying he didn’t rate the later stuff. It was only after another Jacko song he said something about him having died and of course my jaw hit the floor…

Here’s a favourite from The Jacksons:
The Jacksons - Show You The Way To Go

and a Paul McCartney/Michael Jackson song you don’t hear so often:
Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson - The Man

Slightly bizarre picture from the 1988 World Tour program.

Check out Lee’s post for his brilliant version of Ain’t No Sunshine. This is my favourite version of the song and the one I was originally going to use.

6 comments:

Davy H said...

Mrs H shouted up the stairs this morning whilst I still slumbered deep in duvet - "Dave! Dave! MICHAEL JACKSON'S DIED!!'. This is similar to how I heard the news about Princess Di. And with John Lennon it was my Mum as I stumbled in for breakfast.

I do wish famous people would refrain from dying before I've had my first coffee of the day.

Nice piece Michael x

Mick said...

I've just checked my phone - Mrs Mick called me at 6:38 to tell me the news (I already knew by then). To my shame, when John Lennon died I was a little bit Meh! (not that we said that in those days) he was past it anyway. I put that down to callous youth - when George Harrison died I was really upset. With MJ, apart from anything else, I was thinking he's only 2 years older than me!

Simon said...

I heard that Di had died late at night, and it was the same last night. I went to bed wondering if it would turn out to be a hoax.

Still slightly cynical about it now.

Show You The Way To Go is a magical song.

londonlee said...

Sorry Mick!

It really is my favourite record of his.

Mick said...

Simon,
Leaving comments at 1.45 am: the joys of having a baby – unless you’re brave enough to go on the lash knowing you’re likely to get an early wake-up call.
Lee,
Not a problem. I linked to your post because that song deserves to be heard.

Anonymous said...

I've always believed 'Ain't No Sunshine'to be one THE singles of the seventies, it's great to hear i'm not alone.
These people always seem to die six hours behind us!, it was the same with Rick Nelson and John Denver(never got over that one).
On one of BBC One's hastily put together tributes the other night Tony Blackburn tried to have us believe Michael's death was bigger than Elvis!!.....Shurely shome mishtake.

BrotheRay