Thursday, 27 May 2010

Nice try - goodbye

I bought a handful of 12-inch singles from a charity shop a few weeks back, presumably all donated by the same person because they were all from the same era and of a similar style. There was actually about a dozen of them but they wanted £1.75 each (a lot for one of these establishments) and I had gone in there with the intention of spending up to £10 and I’m not an impulse buy sort of person. All right, I admit it, I’m tight. The thing is I went back a week later to get the remainder and of course they were gone and I was pissed off.

Anyway, this is the pick of the ones I bought. Paul Hardcastle was a bit of a keyboard wiz but couldn’t sing so he gave us that N-N-N-N-Nineteen nonsense. Getting Carol Kenyon in to sing a proper song was a much better idea - just ask Heaven 17.

Paul Hardcastle - Don’t Waste My Time (New Extended Version) (1985)
Featuring Carol Kenyon

11 comments:

Kippers said...

Great stuff. I remember buying this on 7", along with Diana Ross's Chain Reaction and System Addict by 5 Star. Ahh.

I'm interested to know what those other contemporaneous 12"s you missed out on in that charity shop were, by the way. If you can remember now, like. And yes, £1.75 is well above the usual asking price for yer old 12"-inchers these days!

davy h said...

50p's the going rate round here. Less for a Paul Hardcastle, I'd say ; )

Kippers said...

Oh! This is the mix with Delbert Wilkins on it as well! This was the same one they used on NOW Dance '86. Magic.

Mick said...

50p to £1 is the usual going rate round here but Mrs Mick says I'm not allowed to haggle in charity shops.

Kippers,
They had some Alexander O'Neal (one with Cherrelle), Luther Vandross, SOS Band, Colonel Abrams. Nothing I didn't have in one form or another but it still broke my heart to miss them. I loved the Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis productions back in the day but went through a phase where I couldn't listen to them. I'm over it now.

I'm off to check the shops now.

Interesting pop fact: One of the shops had a Morrisey CD for 50p, something to do with Quarry, but I still couldn't be tempted

Kippers said...

Don't blamed you mate. If I'm in a Morrissey mood, why would I possibly want to look past my Smiths albums (and Viva Hate)?

I'm right with you on the Jam/Lewis productions BTW. Didn't they do Human for the Human League as well?

Mick said...

Went back there today. The only ones left are Spagna, Farley Jackmaster Funk, David Grant - stuff like that. Saturday Love is still there but the run time is 5-minutes, which is the same as my CD version.

Mick said...

...and yes, they produced the Human League's Crash album (the last one I bought as it happens). I particularly liked the SOS Band. Just The Way You Like It was one of those records I put on when I invited girls in for coffee.

davy h said...

I am laughing so much I dribbled a bit.

Mick said...

Did I say something funny? They think you're putting on an uptempo record but you kill the lights when Weekend Girl comes on.

Mick said...

Of course, I really shouldn't be sharing these sure fire tips.

Kippers said...

I'm sure I'd have put a bit of the old S.O.S. Band on meself back then too, if only I'd ever had any success with girls.