Friday, 27 July 2012

So eighties...


Back in the early 80s when a group of us were house sharing one of the guys was also an avid record buyer and had similar tastes to my own. This gave a competitive edge to record buying which was good because you always wanted to be the one to come home with that great record from some undiscovered band. Occasionally one of us would rave about their latest discovery and the other just didn’t get it, which was pretty much the case with these two records. To my ears they weren’t contemporary enough, for that read not electronic enough. When we moved on we made tapes from each others record collections and I put these two songs at the end of a C90 more or less to use up the tape and because I quite liked them. The last few bars of Drum were chopped off and I was a perfectionist when it came to making tapes but I let it go, an indication of how essential I thought it was.

Fast forward about 30 years and one day I couldn’t get these tunes out of my head so I’ve managed to acquire new copies. Now the production sounds quintessentially 80s to me. Don’t know what I was thinking. Back in the day clippety-clop percussion part in Drum irritated me. I find I can live with it now but I’m sure it still has the potential to irk if I put it on in the wrong mood, say after one of my epic battles with the kids.

Way of the West - Drum (It’s Just A March In Time) (Social Mix) (1981)

Way of the West - See You Shake (1981)

5 comments:

darkdance said...

"Drum" is one of this band's several club classics. Perhaps I'm the only survivor who remembers those distant times.

Mick said...

Just you and me from the look of things.

Let's Find H-Man A Wife said...

Are you kidding? I found Way of the West long after they moved on. Lucky to find it: "Don't Say that's just for White Boys" March in Time was always my favorite by that splendid band

Anonymous said...

Okay, you've talked me into it. I'll give it a try even if I don't recall the song, the band rings a bell from the spirit of radio days. Thanks.
j.

abramson said...

I was working at the Record Centre, Barkingside, at the time these were released. We played the Way Of The West 12" to death in the shop, never sold many copies though. Another great band that never quite managed to get the recognition they deserved.