Monday, 3 December 2007

Bullet proof heart…

I love music from 1980. The late 70s synth bands were at their peak, punk was turning into post-punk and the bands who would shape the early 80s were starting to make their mark. There was no clear consensus which direction bands should take so, for a while at least, anything seemed possible.

I had been collecting and enjoying Fingerprintz singles since I saw them supporting Bill Nelson’s Red Noise in 1979 but none of them looked like troubling the charts. For their 4th single they went for a less frantic and more polished sound with a tale of urban decay. It was produced by Nick Garvey of The Motors as was Distinguishing Marks, the album that followed. I loved this one at the time and thought it would provide them with a breakthrough (how many times have I said that on my posts) but it was not to be.

The band line-up is:
Jimme O’Neill - Guitar, vocals
Cha Burnz - Guitar
Bob Shilling - Drums
Kenny Alton - Bass

Jimme O’Niell and Cha Burnz went on to form The Silencers.
Bob Shilling became Bogdan Wiczling and appears as drummer on some Bill Nelson tracks.

mp3: Fingerprintz - Bullet Proof Heart (1980)

Their 3rd and final album would be a more radical departure but that’s for another day.

4 comments:

So It Goes said...

The Motors rearing their heads again?
This song unaccountably reminds me of Sniff'N'The Tears' Driver's Seat and the melody is like something out of Pat Benatar. I think if it had been more rough around the edges, it would have broken them, 'cos it's truly accomplished songwriting.

Mick said...

Accomplished is right. In some of their earlier singles the words were there more for their rhythmic quality on 'Who's Your Friend', and 'Dancing With Myself' wasn't exactly Dylan (but it was great). Here Jimme has taken more care and told a story. Kind of like Boomtown Rats with 'Rat Trap' but not, if you get me drift.

Darren said...

I'm always surprised that the Silencers haven't been rediscovered in any significant sense.

I think a lot of their stuff stands the test of time.

cheers,
Darren

Anonymous said...

clearly one of the 80s best songs.