Friday, 18 July 2008

Him or Me…Battle of the bands





I’ve known the original since I was a kid due to it being part of my brothers collection so I bought the Banned version out of curiosity. The original wins on energy, vocals, style and, well…being the original. I’m told it was a favourite with John Peel back in the day. The remake gets by on cockney charm. But that’s just my opinion. See for yourselves:

mp3: Paul Revere and The Raiders - Him or Me (1967)
There used to be a good Youtube clip of this but now there’s just a very poor quality one. It’s worth seeking out just for a look at their silly stage clothes that stopped them being taken seriously.

mp3: The Banned - Him or Me (1978)
I’ve just found out The Banned have reformed and recorded a new version of their first single Little Girl and a cover of Friday On My Mind. They are available to download from their website.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Mick, this is like comparing a great bottle of Claret with a cheap supermarket plonk. I remember hearing The Banned's version on the radio in 1977, the DJ in question immediately followed it with The Raiders original and all bets were off.
It's worth considering posting a series of great singles that never were i.e. album tracks that cried out to be released as singles. In my opinion The Raiders 'Louise' from their 1966 album 'Spirit of '67' would be number one on that list. A fitting tribute to America's greatest Rock'n'Roll band.
But I would say that wouldn't I.

BrotheRay

Mick said...

Tee Hee! I thought that might get you going. Apparently the Banned version was selling quite well but EMI/Harvest pulled it because of 'management hassles'. Who knows, if it had been a hit it could have generated some interest. As you know there are several Raiders songs from this era suitable for cover by new wave bands.

Davy H said...

Never heard either version before today; they are both, I feel, marvellous in their own ways. But since I'm always in the market for cheap supermarket plonk I'll be taking The Banned. It just seems to try a bit less hard, and I like that in my pop. BrotheRay you may shoot me, but you'll have to catch me foist x

Davy H said...

Oh, hang on. I just played PR & The Raiders again and...DAMMIT. I changed my mind.

Mick said...

Well you got it right in the end, that's the main thing.

Davy H said...

Nuggets

Mick said...

Of course. That means you've got the even better Just Like Me, doesn't it?

Davy H said...

Er, no.

Mick said...

I've just checked and you're right. I was sure it was on one of the Nuggets CDs. You can hear it here if you like.

Mick said...

I was sort of right. It's on the hideously expensive 4-CD box set.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of superior wines davy h.
But mick, 'Just Like Me' Superior?
Oh, no no no no,,,,

BrotheRay

Planet Mondo said...

Im With The Banned. The other one sounds like composite of The Beatles Help album. You can get 'Nuggets' on the freemans if you use Google Blog Search.

I'd recommend checking out 'Acid Dreams Epitaph' for more 'Nuggets' style nuggets. I've also got a great Bolivian garage band version of 'Break On Through' somewhere.

Mick said...

I’m shocked that anyone could prefer the Banned version but I’ve confounded a few people with my opinions so I probably shouldn’t be surprised. I’m not getting the Help comparison but the Louise song that Ray mentioned is a dead ringer for Drive My Car from Rubber Soul.