Friday, 24 October 2008

ssshhh…

Davy has just got back from Hangover Square and wants a quality post but ‘no prog’. I didn’t have anything planned but actually a bit of laid back symphonic prog is good Sunday morning music. Just let Soft Vanilla from Focus wash over you and soothe away your pain Mr H. Hard Vanilla is a bonus and you might wonder if Messrs Becker and Fagen heard it around the time they were writing Haitian Divorce.

mp3: Focus - Soft Vanilla (1975)

mp3: Focus - Hard Vanilla (1975)

5 comments:

Davy H said...

Is that 'Soft Vanilla' prog then? Sounds like smoooooth jazz, almost Bob James....And I like it! Ta.

Davy H said...

Oh yes, and the other's nicely funky ain't it? I like too!

markonnewsgroups said...

Gosh - their post-1973-ish jazzy stuff is new to me, and thanks for this. Ta also for the Monsoon, which takes me straight back to "The Love That Whirls"; couldn't be anyone other than Bill, could it?


Slightly surreal namedrop: I once topped up Thijs van Leer's mobile phone for him.

Mick said...

It's past midnight and I've just got back from A&E with my youngest. He hurt his arm at a party early this evening and I told him it would be OK. Then he woke up screaming at 9.30. I'm knackered now so I'll answer comments tomorrow. He's OK - got a sling which is pretty cool when you're four but has to go back on Monday to sit in the waiting room for several hours again.

Mick said...

Best namedrop I've heard in ages, Mark. I'm not sure I'd even recognise Thijs van Leer.
Davy,
This is the problem with putting music into genres; Is (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais punk? I dunno. Prog rock was quite varied and there were a lot of frustrated jazzers in bands (usually on the drum stool). My favourite stuff is usually now referred to as symphonic prog, which usually means they prominently featured keyboards/synths/mellotrons (or maybe an orchestra). I liked the sound textures. I'm going to post one every few weeks and if people don't like it they can skip that post.