Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Charity shop rummage...

I’ve been doing a fair bit of rummaging in charity shops since early summer and I’ve picked up a few interesting records and CDs which I will share over the coming months. How’s this for starters, especially since I promised more quality after yesterdays post: the 12-inch version of E=MC2 for 99p.

mp3: Big Audio Dynamite – E=MC2 (Extended Remix) (1985)

I loved this song on it’s initial release and was very pleased with myself because I understood most of the Nic Roeg references. At the time I would tell anyone who was interested (which was almost nobody) that he was my favourite director, although I had yet to see Performance so didn’t recognise any of the samples taken from that film. In fact, for years I thought it was James Fox’s voice was Michael Caine.

9 comments:

Mondo said...

I loved this single, It's the sound of summer 86 for me. Call me a philistine but always I favoured the second BAD album over the first.

When I first started trawling charity shops it was all MFP comps, budget TV themes and Herb Alpert. Now it's tunes from my teens - scary!

Mick said...

Funny you should say that - I bought a dodgy MFP LP for 20p today that looks like fun but that's all I'm revealing for now.

This may surprise you but I've never heard a BAD album so I've no idea if you're a philistine.

Davy H said...

Me neither! They sort of passed me by, which is odd given how much I loved Mick in The Clash and Don Letts and dubbiness and Old School hip hop and...all that.

Charity shop finds are almost tidal I find...highs and ebbs...I'm in an ebb right now, haven't seen anything decent for months - not even on MFP - but that's the surest sign an autumn glut's on the way...lovely jubbly.

Mick said...

How's this for a bargain from about two weeks ago - the 4-DVD box set of Live 8, still sealed, for 49p. The old biddy in the shop evidently thought it was a video because the box was about that size and that's how much all the other videos were. Mrs Mick says I should have given them an extra donation.

Davy H said...

She's got a heart, that Mrs Mick.

Adam said...

The last time I was in Oxfam they were trying to charge 5.99 for Roxy Music's 'Manifesto' LP, the cheeky Buggers.

NOTIMEWARP RADIO said...

I absolutely LOVED this band during the 80's! I've got quite a few 12" remixes by them (as well as another crap load a friend recorded for me). There's a remix of 'E=MC2' called 'Abert Einstein meets the Human Beatbox'. Never heard it. Hope it's worth the hype...

Anonymous said...

HEY-GREAT BLOG--IM A QUESTION ABOUT THIS RARE 80S UNDER SONGS ---NAMES?..BANDS?--THERE ARE--------------http://www.mediafire.com/?3zztj2wwn3t----------------------------http://www.mediafire.com/?jjylmkzjnhd--------------------------------THANKS IN ADVANCE--MRDISCO-FROM SOUTHAMERICA---IM IN--http://12inchraremaxis.blogspot.com/-------------AND--http://go80smaxis.blogspot.com/

Don said...

Thank you from Oregon, USA. God I loved this song in the day!