Tuesday, 6 November 2007

Passion Killer...


I always thought this single was going to be a hit. It had a prime time plug on The Tube (which is where I first heard it) and had a reasonable amount of airplay but for some reason it stalled at number 71. It has a Bowie-esque feel, which is not uncommon for records from this era, but this one reminds me of Aladdin Sane era when most people were ripping off Low, maybe that was a problem. Their look, which I would describe as ‘gypsy chic’ tended to divide opinion but at least they stood out from the New Romantic crowd.

Several more singles and two albums followed before they finally split in 1985. None of these releases got the same promotion as the debut. I liked Passion Killer a lot but evidently not enough to buy the subsequent singles without hearing them first, probably because electronica was my thing at the time. That’s a shame because now I would like to hear them. Time to start scouring 2nd hand record shops and ebay I guess.

mp3: One The Juggler – Passion Killer

To my surprise I discovered they played a one off reunion gig earlier this year. For more information there is an excellent fan site. As far as I am aware their only CD release is Destination Planet Blue, an album of previously unreleased demos.

3 comments:

marmiteboy said...

I saw One The Juggler supporting The Eurhythmics (a momnet of weakness) about 25 years ago. I'd already bought 'Passion Killer' so was unable to sing along. I seem to remember they spent half the time arguing with the audience.

Anonymous said...

Was this London or Birmingham? I was at the London gig, no arguing with the audience there. They were so good, I didn't bother to watch the Eurythmics.

mitzi said...

Was this London or Birmingham? I was at the London gig, no arguing with the audience there. They were so good, I didn't bother to watch the Eurythmics.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be annonymous, this thing never accepts my password, and I've given up with it.