Thursday, 15 November 2007

A quiet night in on my birthday...

This wasn’t supposed to happen. Today is my birthday and I was supposed to be taking it easy and going out for a meal tonight. Instead I find myself looking after a sick wife, doing the school runs and cancelling the restaurant booking and babysitter.

I’m 47 today!! If that sounds old let me tell you I feel about the same as I did in my 20’s. The downside to that is my taste in music, clothes, hairstyles etc are at least 20 years out of date. The good news is I don’t really care.

There is a 47 Society which claims that the number forty-seven occurs in nature with noticeably higher frequency than other natural numbers. Their website claims that if you pick another number and keep your eyes open for both for a few months 47 will show up more. I don’t know about that but I am 47 today and I share a birthday with Anni-Frid from Abba who was born in Norway, and guess what the dial code for Norway is: 47. Spooky? No, I didn’t think so either.

Anyway, here’s a song from each of the decades I’ve been around.

mp3: The Byrds – I’ll Feel A Whole Lot Better (1965)
mp3: Roxy Music – Street Life (1973)
mp3: John Foxx – Your Dress (1983)
mp3: XTC – The Disappointed (1992)
mp3: Wondermints – Shine On Me (2004)

Finally, how about a video of birthday girl Frida in action.

13 comments:

twopalmtrees said...

Let me be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday! Thanks for all the blogging - it's much appreciated

Tracklister said...

Happy Birthday

Davy H said...

Oh CRIKEY I nearly missed it because I'm sorry I have been out.

In fact I still am -
and posting this from the train home.

Hey! You wouldn't have imagined that back in 1960 would ya?

Mick, I love ya, happy birthday, hope the missus gets better soon x

PS: all of this written on a mobile after 6 pints so, you know, give me the benefit...

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a Happy Birthday!

So It Goes said...

Dear Mick, happy birthday for yesterday. Your blog is a source of inspiration and so are you. Get well soon to your missus, too. Best wishes, Steve.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday.

Crash Calloway said...

Happy birthday matey, hope all's well with all yours soon and you get to have a right proper celebration.

iain said...

Happy Birthday mate....
long may you and the blog continue :))))
Oh, and you know me and my Ultravox! obsession....so i'm particularly loving the John Foxx tune......

Mick said...

Sincere thanks for all the birthday messages. The blogospere is a great place isn't it :)

You'll be glad to know the wife is on the mend. Plan B is for the whole family to do something this weekend.

Davy - very impressed with your drunken message. Hope the hangover's gone.

Steve - Thanks for your support and wishes.

Iain - I consider that John Foxx tune a forgotten gem because I had virtually forgotten myself until I got his Modern Art compilation. That got me re-buying his back catalogue (the USB turntable was still several years away)

THE VINYL DISTRICT said...

Happy Birthday Mick! (A wee bit late, but here in Washington, DC we're often behind a curve!) Cheers!

don zebra said...

happy birthday mister!
as i am a complete newbie in blogs,although only 43 yrs old,i really enjoyed the discovery of yours (and metrophase in particular some posts before)!
cheers and all the best 2 mrs...

Mick said...

Thanks Jon. I've been enjoying the 70's stuff.
Don - glad you've been enjoying the posts and welcome to the world of blogging.

Club80 said...

Happy belated birthday to a fellow Scorpio (mine was the 18th). Great blog. Continue on with the great work.
Club80 (The Post Punk Progressive Pop Party)