Friday, 5 September 2008

Rant...

Want to hear about my day? What’s the point of having a blog if you can’t have the occasional rant?

It was my middle sons birthday today and he’s been hinting for weeks that he wants The Legend of Zelda for the Wii so I dutifully ordered it for £30 from HMV (Amazon was out of stock and ironically I don’t use Play because I find them a bit slow). I got an email on 27th Aug saying it had been sent and I looked forward to receiving it. It still hadn’t arrived yesterday (that’s eight days after it had been ‘sent’) so I gave them a call. They said it had definitely been sent but isn’t considered lost until 14 days after the despatch date. But I could get a refund if it arrived late (or not at all).

So, today: We gave him some presents first thing this morning and told him there would be a special one when he got home from school, the idea being if it didn’t arrive today I would nip out and get another. So I waited for the post…and waited. The post was much later than usual today and, of course, when it arrived there was no game. I phoned all the local shops and nobody had it in stock. I started phoning neighbouring towns and the first place I found that had it was HMV (again) in Woking – only now the game was £40 plus a 30-mile round trip in the pouring rain. Anyway, by 2 o’clock I was back home with the game and I finally relaxed. I should have known better. The boy gets home from school, gets all excited about the game and puts it in the Wii…and the f***ing disc is faulty!!!! So, back to Woking, it’s their last copy of course, get refund, go to Game on the floor below and buy yet another copy!! Thank Todd this one works (but I still seem to be £70 out of pocket).

End of rant.

mp3: XTC - Complicated Game (Buy)

Just so we’re clear, this isn’t an anti HMV rant – they’ve actually been very helpful.

22 comments:

Davy H said...

You get The Great Dad Award though, oh yes.

Mick said...

Aw shucks!

What do you think the odds are that the original one I ordered arrives tomorrow? I'll post an update in the morning.

Davy H said...

I blame teh internets

So It Goes said...

If we're talking about postal systems, Mick,the S. Korea/England connection seems to take a lot of beating. My cousin sent me a Christmas card that arrived in March. I sent two parcels, one to my sister and one to my wife's father. on the SAME DAY, from the SAME POST OFFICE: my sister's arrived in eight days, the other took two months.And the top prize: a bank statement that arrived five months late, having first been to Malaysia.
Have you ever seen 'Jingle All The Way'? You are the Arnie character, without a doubt. Most people hate this film, but I liked it: especially the pay-off, when, after spending the whole film trying to get the bloody toy, it's Christmas Eve and he forgot to get anything for his wife.

Mick said...

I actually thought of that film as I was typing the rant but couldn't remember what it was called. I've only seen the trailers. I couldn't (wouldn't dare) forget the wife.

darkdance said...

Where have all the bloggers gone?
Long time ranting in sorrow...
Where have all the bloggers gone?
Off to checking the 'fn post tomorrow....

Mick said...

Thanks for that little ditty, Darkdance. For anyone still interested the game didn't arrive today either. Somehow I don't think it ever will.

darkdance said...

Well finally I got a response to a comment here in bloody purgatory.... I fear that The Almighty is punishing you, Mick, for neglecting your blog. You must seek salvation. You must bang sharp hooks into the sturdy wall of your abode and hang all three or your damn kids upon them, I say. And then give them music. Give them music until it hurts. Post a video showing how much it hurts. And then give me music. And then maybe give your pal Davy some music, too. He could use it judging by his blog.... I offered you a few brilliant suggestions for posts in my recent comments. Run with those suggestions. Ask for downloads if you need them.... Oh my, what is that screaming?

Davy H said...

This one's trouble...

Davy H said...

Actually can you delete that because he might be bigger than me.

darkdance said...

No need Davy. I might come after you if I knew where you lived. But then only to have the honor of meeting you in person and buying you a pint is all. In fact, music tastes aside, your blog is amazing. Reads like Shakespeare but it makes sense. Keep up the fine work. And, if you ever happen to find yourself in the neigborhood, put a flower on Mick's grave for me. I miss him.

Mick said...

Ooh, Darkdance, you're in a dark place tonight ;)

I love Davys blog (apart from the fucking jazz). It has the eclectic mix I keep intending to have before I get drawn back to the 1978-1983 era. I'm gonna do a 60s week or a prog week soon just to piss people off...except I won't because I never do.

Anyway, be assured I am alive and I do play music to my boys. They love XTC, the Beach Boys and ELO. (My eight year old loves Whitney Houstons 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody'. Says she looks hot in the video and I agree. Big hair!)

Davy H said...

I miss big hair, me.

Mick said...

So do I. When I met Mrs Mick she looked like a celtic version of mid eighties Sarah Brightman...

darkdance said...

I thing that you both need a nice a cup of tea. You didn't wake up right. Fantasies about big hair at your age, indeed.

Mick said...

Big hair! Rah Rah skirts! It's because of my age I like these things.

It is about time for a cuppa though.

darkdance said...

Am I not banned yet?

I've seen your snap, Mick. You would look absolutely rediculous in a rah rah skirt.

Mick said...

That's just your opinion.

darkdance said...

I am reasonble, and I am willing to consider your suggestion that I am wrong. Please post a pic of yourself wearing your best rah rah skirt and let the commenters decide.

darkdance said...

Or make it a video. Just you and the bright lights and all of your friends out there watching. Music suggestions: Up On The Catwalk by The Simple Minds (extended version 7'36") or The Art Of Fashion by Moskwa TV (Razormaid extended remix 6'10"). Ask Mrs. Mick if you are unsure which to select.

darkdance said...

Hmmmph.... Awfully quiet here. Was that a frying skillet that just passed overhead?

Am I not banned yet?

Mick said...

If anyone is still following this the game never did arrive and HMV have credited my card.

Darkdance,
I was going to link to a video but I couldn't figure out how to 'Rickroll' on blogger. You'll just hav to take my word for it.