Saturday, 22 November 2008

Did you know...

Prog alert!
This song turned up today via Mr Shuffle when I was doing the housework. It’s from the soundtrack of the 1985 Ridley Scott film Legend…or is it? It depends which version you watch. It was certainly there when I saw it on TV about 5 years ago.

Apparently the original score was by Jerry Goldsmith but it didn’t go down well with preview audiences so the film was re-edited (and shortened) and a Tangerine Dream score was substituted. If you buy the US Ultimate Edition of the movie you get the original cut with the Goldsmith score, which many people consider to be his finest, and the short cut with TD, but to really confuse things if you buy the UK DVD you get the short cut with the Goldsmith score which pleases nobody. I didn’t know any of this til a few hours ago but I’m in a sharing mood.

Until I saw this on TV I wasn't aware that Jon Anderson had ever recorded with Tangerine Dream. I know he has his detractors but I love his voice and was totally captivated when this song came on. The line "teaching us to love for goodness sake" is just so Jon Anderson.

mp3: Tangerine Dream with Jon Anderson - Loved By The Sun

9 comments:

Davy H said...

So I hope you've got this month's edition of The Word magazine which has a major feature on Prog. Apparently it was great and loads of people still really like it.

Naturally, I have cancelled my subscription as a result.

Gerry Goldsmith though - oh yes, I do like a bit of that x

Davy H said...

Sorry Jerry.

Mick said...

I'll have to check that out Davie, sorry Davy. I don't think I've ever bought The Word but the website raises an interesting point: following the death of Mitch Mitchell, does this make the Jimi Hendrix Experience the first all-star all-dead band? I can't think of another.

Kippers said...

Thanks to that 98-page Prog special in this month's Word I managed to "read" the magazine in record time.

Planet Mondo said...

I've got a 12" of Bryan Ferry doing Is Your Love Strong Enough which was the theme tune of sorts wasn't it - I've also got the soundtrack on vinyl somewhere, but not sure if it's the JS or TD version

Soundtracks I Have Owned - there's a post waiting to happen - I had the El Topo one with a booklet. Unlistenable if memory serves..

Cusack said...

I've watched Legend approximately 1000 times so I can ask this question: What DID test audiences like about it?

24db said...

John never recorded with TD. The group had finished their score for the movie and had gone back to Berlin, then their track was remixed without them being asked and John was brought in to do the vocals. Needless to say TD weren't that impressed...especially as they had another version of the track rejected because of the vocals on it.

Mick said...

I didn't know that but somehow it makes sense.

Anonymous said...

tim curry's devil costume / makeup is probably *THE* best ever... whenever I think of the devil, I think of this representation of it.. brilliant..