Friday, 20 February 2009

Not exactly a Friday night party record…


...but it’s been a while since I indulged in my progressive rock fixation. Allmusic says of this song Refugees turns out to be a wonderfully moving song that eschews hidden meaning in favour of direct statement - this is a song about people fleeing to the West, taking next to nothing with them. An elegy to freedom, the song not only takes in the idea of escaping to freedom, but takes in the planning as well, though in poetic terms suitable for the average Peter Hammill lyric” which is mostly true but even a cursory listen to the lyric tells you there’s a much more personal story in there.

All you prog haters out there (and in my experience most prog haters haven’t heard any but have accepted received wisdom that it was all pretentious crap) give this a listen and see if you can honestly tell me it isn’t great.

mp3: Van Der Graaf Generator - Refugees (1970) (Buy)

This mp3 will only be available for a limited time.

3 comments:

Casey said...

I liked it. Good stuff! And from 1970, too!!

Mick said...

Thank you, Casey. By the way – No 56 of 200 Lost Gems & Forgotten Diamonds. I haven’t heard that album in years but I used to love Stargazer.

Anonymous said...

"home is Mike And Suzie"... great stuff