Friday, 12 March 2010

Bonus Friday post

This is the 3rd and final 70s Talk Box record in my mini series. I bought this back when I was 16. It’s not cheesy or saucy like the others but it turned up on a 70s CD set I got (from my favourite charity shop again) and when it unexpectedly blasted out of my cars speakers I was struck by how great it sounded, but also how the production and singing style (which won’t be to every ones taste) and particularly the synth and (Talk Box) guitar solos rooted it firmly in its time. Not that that’s a bad thing.

John Miles - Slow Down (1977)

Interesting pop fact: John Miles was a member of a band called The Influence which also included the great Paul Thompson of Roxy Music fame.

3 comments:

BrotheRay said...

Hmm...'Slow Down' is not his finest moment.Should have posted 'Stranger in The City'.
I saw him three times in the mid seventies,i'm trying to remember if you came too.

Mick said...

They say the memory is the first thing to go. We went to see hime twice in the 70s (Stranger and Zaragon tours) and I was there. I didn't post Stranger in the City because (a) I haven't got it and (b) the tenuous link with the other records was the Talk Box guitar solo.

Turn this one up - it sounds good.

BrotheRay said...

No..still not convinced.I think that blonde chick in 5000 volts would have made a better job of it.Sorry about the link,it was more tenuous than I could possibly imagine.
I think I saw him 3 times,twice after I passed my test and once when someone else drove,with Sandra and Clive,but then my memory...tch.