Thursday, 16 September 2010

Random Thursday


A big thank you to the six people who chose numbers for todays post. I had a back-up plan in case nobody bothered (an internet random number generator) but I’m so glad I didn’t have to resort to that.

So – let’s see what songs you picked. I’ve posted them in the order the emails arrived.

Davy chose 44: The Tubes - Prime Time (1979)
Because of their onstage antics the tubes had a reputation for being outrageous in the tabloids, probably aided by stories from their publicists. This though is a great melodic pop song from their best album Remote Control. Previously featured three years ago. Click here to see the coloured vinyl.

Simon chose 69: The Undertones – Julie Ocean (1981)
I particularly liked this at the time because it was a bit of a departure for the undertones, being more laid back than we’d come to expect. I couldn’t possibly link to an mp3 though because Feargal doesn’t approve of that sort of thing. If I was going to I’d put it here just for a few days. If Feargal calls I’ll tell him Simon made me do it.

Mondo chose 27: X-Ray Spex – Germ Free Adolescence (1978)
Brilliant choice from Mondo. One of my favourite records of the era. Bizarrely this was sandwiched between Secret Affair and Dionne Warwick

Kippers chose 88: The Motors – Love and Loneliness (1980)
A big production from The Motors first featured on the blog three years ago but well worth another listen.

DVD chose 11: Led Zeppelin – Over The Hills And Far Away (1973)
Looks a bit out of place here, doesn’t it? This is a US import I bought cheap in the late 70s. It’s Led Zepp in fairly restrained mode starting acoustically and building nicely. I still like it.

Tarkers chose 99: The Maisonettes – Heartache Avenue (1982)
Thanks Tarkers for giving me an excuse to post this. It sounds like it was influenced by 60s girl groups and soul but the production is very early 80s. I used to keep it near my Mari Wilson records.

13 comments:

Simon said...

I love Julie Ocean. One of my fave Undertones. Nice little playlist there.

Mick said...

When I played Julie Ocean this morning I thought 'mmm, nice!' in a Jazz Club sort of way.

Mick said...

Some trivia for you. I counted from the front of the box but if I had started from the back we would have had:
The Pretenders - 2000 Miles
Boomtown Rats - Diamond Smiles
Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry
Dave Edmunds - Queen of Hearts
Taja Sevelle - Love is Contagious
Culture Club - Church of the Poison Mind

Mondo said...

Kapow - get right in! Smashing single and the Spex album IS a gem. Good ol' 27 it never lets down (apart from buses that is)..

Worra haul and that Tube single out-zaps my Plasmatics 'blood splat' singles...

davy h said...

What a fab bunch! I'm very pleased with Prime Time - a record I like v.much.

Mick said...

Yep! The prize for the best pick goes to you. If I decide to do this with another box shall I reserve 27 for you?

Mick said...

Opps! Went out of sequence there. For some reason I thought you wouldn't like it Davy. I wonder what Dick thinks of Led Zep.

Mondo said...

Yes please Mick - 27 all the way..

B-side(Age)is a fair ol' hat-popper too..

Mick said...

If I'd had more time I would have included some b-sides. Will play Age later - can't remember it right now and I'd love to hear what a hat popper sounds like.

dickvandyke said...

Smashing concept Michael.

Meanwhile, over the hills and far away, Led Zep do Trumpton...

Interminable guitar intro (with Windy Miller atop a musical box)- and you just know the first word is gonna be, "Lady", leads us to more standard fare at around 1.30.

Loses its way a bit now and again, wandering through a fug of smoke into an obligitory 'pocketful of gold'.

Fade out and fade in and fade out and ... sleeep!

My word the boy can sing. And the lad on the skins is rather good.

Mick said...

They really should have faded it out at 4-mins shouldn't they. All your observatiions are correct but the meandering bit becomes worthwhile when the riff kicks in again at 3.04.

My favourite bit of the record that.

dickvandyke said...

Oh yes - 3.04 - marvellous.

BrotheRay said...

Should have faded it out after 3 seconds