Thursday, 20 September 2007

Here is The News...




Over a week since the last post? You have probably gathered I don’t have much spare time at the moment. The least I can do after all this time is offer two singles from the archive.

These singles from The News are both from 1981, obviously fit into the synthpop category and…that’s about it. I don’t know any more. If you know anything about them I’d love to hear from you.

These are not lost classics but I like them and they are good examples of what chart hopefuls were putting out at the time. They come from a time when titles like “Audio Video” sounded vaguely high tech.

mp3: The News - Audio Video

mp3: The News - A World Without Love

7 comments:

So It Goes said...

Two tuneful ditties, Mick, reminiscent of OMD (again). Nearly expected a Peter & Gordon cover for the second song, but was pleasantly surprised. These could have opened for Depeche Mode, yes?

Mick said...

I considered including a note stating it wasn't the Peter & Gordon song (written by Macca of course) but I assumed you were too young to remember that.

So It Goes said...

You charmer, you. Flattery will get you anywhere.

Anonymous said...

This was the band that morphed into Classix Nouveaux, I seem to recall.
Sal Solo was the singer of the News

Mick said...

Thanks for contributing. However, these guys were around at the same time as Classix Nouveaux, who evolved from X-Ray Spex.

Anonymous said...

Hi

The only thing I know about The news is that they were from Gateshead cos I used to work with someone who was their roadie! 'Audio Video' was minor hitette - for about a week or two - in 1981.

Best wishes

Keith

Mick said...

Thanks Keith, this is one of the things I love about the blogosphere. Where else would you get nuggets of information like this? And you're right - Audio Video got to #52.