Monday, 10 September 2007

The Keys - I Don't Wanna Cry (1981)

The Keys formed in 1979 and disbanded in 1983. Their one album “The Keys Album”, produced by Joe Jackson, featured this great jangly pop song.

The Keys were:
Drew Barfield – vocals, bass
Steve Tatler – vocals, guitar
Ben Grove – vocals, guitar
Geoff Britton – drums

This really should have been a hit. I remember it getting reasonable airplay on Mike Read’s breakfast show but for some reason it didn’t happen.

mp3: The Keys - I Don't Wanna Cry (1981)

Singer/songwriter Drew Barfield is still recording and has a website with samples from his most recent album.

5 comments:

Davy H said...

Sounds like The Searchers.

Which must have been odd in 1981.

Mick said...

Funny you should say that because in my mind I always thought of The Keys as being from Liverpool until I started researching them for this post (yes, I don't just make this stuff up).

So It Goes said...

I got'Needles And Pins' listening to this one, but 'When You Walk In The Room', you'll probably tell me to 'Take It Or Leave It' without any 'Sugar And Spice'. Every one a gem.

Mick said...

Thanks for that. 'Goodbye My Love' ;)

Tony S said...

Thanks for this MP3. I've been searching for this song since around the time it came out (when I was 19). I'm from the USA and when this song was released the local progressive station used to play it. Then it disappeared and I never could find the LP or much info on the band.

So it's great to hear it once again. A belated thanks!