Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Woolly Wolstenholme (15 April 1947 - 13 December 2010)

I was saddened to read this statement earlier today: "It is with profound sorrow that we have to announce the passing of Woolly Wolstenholme. In recent weeks Woolly's mental health had taken a turn for the worse and sadly he took his own life on Monday 13th December 2010. In this difficult time our thoughts are with Woolly's partner, Sue. We would ask all of Woolly's fans to remember his incredible contribution to popular music and his unique presence on stage."

You all know progressive rock is one of my guilty pleasures. Woolly Wolstenholme was keyboard player for Barclay James Harvest (second from left in the picture). He was my favourite type of keyboard player: one who provided orchestrations, colour and textures. He played Mellotron a lot which is a big plus in my book.

10 comments:

Jeremy said...

Very sad news. I was fortunate to see him and BJH in concert three times since 2006, and he revealed himself to be a great comedian as well as a talented musician. A wonderful guy, and sadly missed.

dickvandyke said...

I must admit Mick - I thought this was one of your Spinal Tap moments when I started reading.
My Heartfelt apologies having heard the song.

Mick said...

Jeremy,
I never did get to see them live. The concerts you went must have been the 'Through the Eyes of John Lees' version. Their live album from a few years back was surprisingly excellent. (But I did miss some Les Holroyd songs)

Dick,
Apology accepted.

george said...

Glad your posting again. Not convinced by this though!! All the same, keep posting please.
All the best

davy h said...

I'm so glad Dickie said what he said because I swear I checked in here and thought the whole thing was a piss take. I also am so sorry, clearly.

Mick said...

George,
Hopefully my Rondom Friday post will be more to your taste.

Davy,
I think a monthly 'Spinal Tap Moment' may be that way to go.

Anonymous said...

I saw the classic BJH line up in Bristol in 1978.They didn't do 'Ursula',which incidently is my favourite track of theirs,but Woolly was terrific.Who knows what drives people to such drastic actions.Amazing to think that only John Lees and Les Holdroyd remain from that fantastic group.

BrotheRay

Mick said...

And they're not talking.

BrotheRay said...

Well,to be honest you only really need John Lees,don't you.

Anonymous said...

I never heard about this, just reeading about it today on your blog... sad indeed... didn't the drummer die a few years back? only two of the guys left.

BJH are from my home town, Oldham, Lancs (UK), and growing up there, everyone either knew one of the band or they knew one or more of the bands' members' families (I was in the same school class as a relative of Mel and a relative of Les)... local boys made good :)