Thursday, 9 August 2007

White Door – Windows (1983)

I apparently bought this for 30p from Brian’s Records in Salisbury. I have no recollection of that shop but I do know that I had never heard this song and took a gamble, assuming from the sleeve that it was synthpop (although we never used that term at the time). Windows, from 1983, is not a lost classic but I like it and it is very evocative of the era.

White Door were:
Mac Austin (vocals)
Harry Davies (synthesiser, flute)
John Davies (synthesiser)

They produced six singles and one album, also called Windows, between 1981 and 1984. Mac Austin and Harry Davies were previously members of prog rock band Grace who split up in 1981 but reformed in the late 80’s and are still recording and performing today.

mp3: White Door - Windows

Also….

There’s a new blog in town. Check out Down With Tractors. Iain is a musician and DJ with an interesting record collection and his blog has got off to a superb start. Highly recommended.

9 comments:

iain said...

Thanks, Mick, i'll attempt to keep the quality up :)
Brians? was that on the first floor of a music shop? I remember buying my first ever single "In The City" by the Jam, from a record shop in Salisbury, it might have been Brian's, it rings a bell.....

Mick said...

I think the the one above the music shop was called Suttons. I'll check with my brother (or if he's reading he can post a response). I really don't remember where Brian's was but I think it was a short lived shop in the 80's.

So It Goes said...

Good discovery Mick, never heard it but it's cheery and makes me feel better in this terrible heat (we had a thunderstorm last night).
Long time no see on my blog...are you pissed at me for forgetting your birthday??? (I left a message).

Mick said...

Definitely not pissed at you (and it’s not my birthday til November). I have been reading your blog (and wondering if I’ll ever have time to listen to a 24MB file) but I admit I have been a bit lazy with the comments. A bit naughty really because I like to get feedback.

phaota said...

Another dead link. Please fix so I can hear this tune. Thanks.

viennesewaltz said...

Almost two years after this thread was first published, I found it through googling. I can shed some light on the mysteries of Salisbury's record shops in the late '70s and early '80s. Yes, there was one upstairs at Suttons music shop opposite the bus station. Brian's was in the Old George Mall, opposite Southons furniture store. Before it was Brian's it was known as Derek's. There was also Subway Records on New Canal for a while... and Wilmer's "boutique" on Catherine Street had a few LPs upstairs alongside the badges and arcade games.

Anonymous said...

Please can you take this down. It will be out on Cherry Pop in Novemmber.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. We recently did a bit of music inspired by this band. You can hear it here. Let me know what you think:

http://frozenvegproject.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/whitedoor/

Ilya Pukhaev said...

Great record!