Saturday, 26 January 2008

Raiding the tape archive…Squeeze live


I’m having great fun converting my old tapes to mp3. This is from Radio One’s In Concert slot that they used to do on Saturday nights in the early eighties. I haven’t got the whole show before anyone asks. My guess is I turned the radio on half way through, thought "this is good", and found a blank tape in time to catch the encore of a concert in Oxford promoting the East Side Story album. I would have split the tracks up, but if you listen to it they don’t really give me a chance. Just enjoy hearing a band at their peak playing three great songs together they way they intended.

mp3: Squeeze - Up The Junction/Messed Around/GoodbyeGirl (Live1981) (11MB)

Buy Squeeze

6 comments:

JC said...

East Side Story is a superb album - spolied only by 'Tempted', which just vever seemed like a Squeeze song to me.

I'm probably in the minority

Mick said...

I agree it's a great album and I never had a problem with 'Tempted'. Is it the choice of vocalist you don't like or something to do with the style?

JC said...

I suspect its mostly down to Mr Carrack, but the song itself just didn't appeal to me. Too much like Hall & Oates and similar nonsense...

dickvandyke said...

Thanks for this Mick.
I vaguely recall doing a similar thing with a C60 at the time.
I agree a little with JC's point. Tempted does have a certain US production feel about it - a far cry from their roots perhaps. Nonetheless, it's a cushty cassette.

Davy H said...

Nice one! Reminds me that I have a Lloyd Cole & The Commotions 'In Concert' from a few years later. Tee hee. I like 'Tempted'.

The RIpple Effect said...

Hey, I just found your site. Amazing stuff! We run a music site that also features some music from this time period, The Ripple Effect. I'd love it if you'd check us out and maybe we can exchange links.

We're at www.ripplemusic.blogspot.com

Keep up the great work!