Saturday, 19 January 2008

What did he say?

I really haven’t got time for this but just to keep the more cantankerous readers happy here’s a Saturday post.

This single is from industrial music pioneers Chrome. I bought it without hearing it because it looked interesting and was on Beggars Banquet. I wasn’t disappointed. I was immediately drawn to the incessant beat and general air of menace. Apart from the “this is the new age” chorus I always thought of it as an instrumental. The pissed off dalek voice on the verses suited the tone of the record but didn’t appear to be saying anything. Imagine my surprise when I bought the album (Red Exposure) and it had the full lyric printed. The weird thing is, once you know it’s obvious what he’s saying.

mp3: Chrome - New Age (1980)

For the curious here are the words. Try listening without reading them first and see how much you can decipher.

I’m on the outside looking at the inside
Nobody’s inside looking at the outside
I’m all alone
Eight, eight
This is the new age
Eight, eight
This is the new way

I’m on the inside looking at the outside
Looking at the outer zone
I’m not strange, nothing’s strange
There’s nothing strange about me
Eight, eight
This is the new age
Eight, eight
This is the new way

I’ve got a big old steel
I’ve got a Chinese card
I’ve got a specimen
In my back yard
Eight, eight
This is the new age

Written and performed by Damon Edge and Helios Creed.

Red Exposure isn’t currently available on CD but New Age can be found here.

3 comments:

Davy H said...

I hope this satisfies the cantankerous bastards whoever they are. Cut the guy some slack!

Davy H said...

Gives me a headache mind.

Mick said...

Not exactly easy listening, is it?

..and cantankerous is officially my word of the day.