Saturday, 28 June 2008

Doh!


Excuse me but I am drunk while I’m writing this…

A couple of weeks ago I happened upon a wonderful blog called Star Maker Machine which has the simple but brilliant idea of having a weekly theme for contributors to post songs on. They have regular contributors but also encourage outside contributions. Next weeks theme is particularly good: They plan to post 50 songs with the name of an American state in the title (and nobody is sure if there is a song for every state). This immediately got me thinking. I’ve got loads of songs with American states (Idaho, California, Georgia, Arkansas, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisiana, Indiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi immediately sprang to mind) in the title. After a while I couldn’t get a certain Jonathan Richman song out of my head but alarm bells started ringing. I checked with Wikipedia and sure enough New England is not a state but a region consisting of six states (this, of course, won’t be news to my American readers). Still a bloody good song though.

One thing I particularly like about this song is all my friends and family said “What the f*** did you buy that for?” Always a good sign! I thought it had something and I remain unrepentant.

mp3: The Modern Lovers - New England (Live) (1977)

Sadly, a lovely American girl from Boston I worked with in the 90’s always talked about how great New England was but she had never heard of Jonathan Richman. I always imagined he was a local hero.

10 comments:

londonlee said...

I live in New England and sadly the big musical heroes here are Aerosmith.

Mick said...

*sigh*

Davy H said...

Is this off the famous JR/Modern Lovers live LP?

Me and My Lovely Wife had a fun evening last week drinking red wine and rummaging through/playing her old LPs and she's got that.

She's to blame for Bobby Goldsboro too.

Mick said...

Yes, that's the one. I imagine it's an ideal 'red wine evening' album. Almost impossible not to sing along to. Mrs Ghost is to be congratulated for having the good taste to own this and a Be Bop Deluxe album so I think we can all overlook the Bobby incident.

Davy H said...

Fair dues

Anonymous said...

Mick and davy h
Are you two kidding, have you not heard 'With Pen In Hand'.
Bobby Goldsboro is a legend.

BrotheRay

Mick said...

Never heard of it. Email me a copy and I'll post it (maybe).

Davy H said...

Yeah. It'd better be good after that build up 'Ray'. If that is your name.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it probably isn't that good. It's just one of those songs that hit me where it hurts for the last 40 years.
The last thing I want is you lot ripping the @%#t out of it.

BrotheRay

Davy H said...

I feel bad now : (