Saturday, 28 June 2008

Let’s go pre punk…

The comments on my OffBEAT post turned into a bit of a ‘my first live band’ thread so I’ve decided to run with that. My first live band was Daryl Hall and John Oates which may surprise some of you. Most of my interesting, unusual or rare vinyl is from the new wave era so that’s what I usually post, but I started collecting before that and Hall & Oates were one of my early faves. In fact, I think they were the first band that was totally my discovery, completely independent of friends and family.

Anyhow, this discussion led BrotheRay (54) from Dorset to proclaim ‘Gino’, a largely forgotten Hall & Oates song, ‘one of the great seventies singles’ and he may have a point. I’m pretty sure I picked it up for 10p in 1976 (it was released in 1975) and it quickly became a favourite in our house. At the time I used to do impressions of my dad which he knew nothing about (or so I thought but that’s another story) and I found it particularly amusing to have him sing ‘Gino-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no…’ You probably had to be there but, believe me, it was funny at the time. For any other Hall & Oates fans out there the mix on this single is punchier and better than the version that appeared on the 1975 ‘Silver Album’, still their best in my opinion.

mp3: Daryl Hall and John Oates - Gino (The Manager)(SingleVersion) (1975)

Trivia: When I got my USB turntable on Christmas day 2006 this was one of the first singles I ripped.

5 comments:

Kippers said...

I think you may have inadvertently started another thread here - what were the first songs that people ripped from vinyl when they first got their mp3 turntables or magic cables! (I think mine was Windjammer's Tossing & Turning.)

Mick said...

Good one. My very first vinyl rip was The Jags 'Back of My Hand' because I had downloaded what I thought would be a nice digital copy but it wasn't the original single mix.

Anonymous said...

Mick(45.5)
Strangely I thought you had discovered Be Bop Deluxe before Hall and Oates, I won't argue this time though, you've probably still got the till receipts.
It was an interesting time with you beginning to bring new sounds into the house, to this day the likes of Talking Heads, Be Bop Deluxe and XTC all have an important place in my collection.....can't shift those Sailor singles though!!

BrotheRay

Anonymous said...

Sorry that should be Mick(48.5)
BrotheRay

Mick said...

Well, as far as our house was concerned Be Bop Deluxe was my discovery but I first heard of them round Michael Hodgsons house so I didn't count them.

For years I was embarrassed about my Sailor records but now I'm really proud of them.

Mick 47.5