Friday, 20 June 2008

OffBEAT CD


In these days of CDs and DVDs being given away by newspapers and magazines on a regular basis it’s easy to forget that they used to be expensive and a free cover mount CD was quite a novelty. This is from 1989 and it’s called Offbeat, which was probably the name of the magazine but I can’t remember for sure. It’s a Parlophone sampler featuring five acts of the day and quite an eclectic collection it is too.

1 Marc Almond – Tears Run Rings (Extended Exclusive Mix)
It’s described as the ‘Extended Exclusive Mix’. No idea how exclusive it is now.

2 Goodbye Mr. MacKenzie – Green On Red
Goodbye Mr. MacKenzie are one of those bands I remember hearing about more than hearing if that makes sense. They are probably best known now for featuring Shirley Manson, later of Garbage, as a keyboard player and background vocalist. According to CDDB this is called Green On Red but I believe the correct title is Green Turn Red. Whatever the title it’s a good late 80s indie dance song.

3 The Neighbourhood – Big Long Line
The least interesting song on the CD in my opinion. It sounds a bit Hue and Cry to me.

4 Bliss - Your Love Meant Everything
If memory serves this was a single on an indie label but I’m not sure if this is the original single version. This features a brilliant heartfelt vocal by Rachel Morrison. Bliss was another of those bands that came and went without me really taking any notice but they sound quite interesting now. As much as I love this I think I felt at the time a whole album of this would do my head in.

5 Zeke Manyika - Bible Belt
The pick of the bunch here. If you only download one of these songs make it this brilliant anti apartheid song.

15 comments:

I Am Not The Beatles said...

Hi Mick,

Goodbye Mr Mackenzie were the first band I ever saw live - they were supporting The Primitives in Bristol. They were great and I became a big fan and saw them live quite a few times, the first two albums still hold up pretty well, and Face To Face - their debut single - can still raise an eyebrow. A few of them are still around playing in Isa and The Filthy Tongues for the interested :

http://www.myspace.com/thefilthytongues

Davy H said...

Feck me, that Zeke track's a cracker innit?

The Vinyl District said...

What th'?!

http://vinyldistrict.blogspot.com/2008/06/tvds-weekend-shots_20.html

Mick said...

The 'first band I ever saw live' is a post I've considered once or twice. Not sure how they would fit in with the other stuff I've posted...

Zeke's song's a corker, isn't it Davy? I thought the whole CD was worth posting but felt I had to single that one out.

Jon,
Spooky!

Davy H said...

And the first band you ever saw live was...?

Mick said...

I wasn’t fishing for a response; I was genuinely going to use this as a chance to write a post. However…since I never actually follow through with my plans I will reveal all. It was Daryl Hall and John Oates at Bournemouth Winter Gardens early in 1977 (although technically it was the support act – a Dylan wannabe called Andy Desmond).

The Vinyl District said...

I'll out myself too:


Loverboy


Opening act?


Huey Lewis and the News.


(Then in order came The B-52's, Howard Jones, and the Eurythmics. ...Guess my age!)

Mick said...

You're young (like me). I saw Dave and Annie when they were still in The Tourists. In the late 70s my friend sent off for B-52s tickets but they didn't arrive in time. Never did get to see them.

I still love 70s Hall & Oates. One reason I wanted a new turntable was because it's hard to get their old stuff on CD.

Kippers said...

Simple Minds supported by The Silencers at Wembley Arena in '89, for me.

At the other end of the scale, the most recent concert I attended: The Zombies and The Yardbirds, on Thursday night. Fan-blooming-tastic, by the way.

Ian TB: I liked Goodbye Mr Mackenzie a lot at the time too. Anything Scottish, basically!

Simon said...

I loved Goodbye Mr Mackenzie. I was listening to The Rattler just the other day.

First gig? Geno Washington singing some blues standards with a guitarist and a drummer playing only a snare in the basement of his restaurant after hours one night in 1983. Pretty damn cool for a first gig even if I do say so myself.

Saw The Primitives live just before they released Crash. In another basement.

In fact when I look back, I saw a lot of gigs in the 80s in basements.

Mick said...

Geno Washington played at my college in 77 or 78. I didn’t go because I was worried about missing the last train home. I missed XTC for the same reason. Bugger!!

Kippers,
That Zombies/Yardbirds show sounds like a good night out. Another band from that era that I'm assured put on a great show are The Manfreds. No Manfred Mann but Paul Jones and Mike d'Abo.

Anonymous said...

Mick
Sorry to be anal about this but the Hall and Oates show was late 76.If I remember correctly, I was learning to drive and the old man had to take us. As I had passed my test in January 77, if it had been then, I would have driven us there.
Good show though!!

BrotheRay

Mick said...

I've still got the programme - it was January 21st 1977. The old man drove us there and there was no car radio in those days, so it was "Moss were in goal, injured his shoulder, went outside left and scored! Wilson took his place - not Bob Wilson..."

Anonymous said...

I passed my test on the 25th, so that confirms we had to driven there. What a long journey it must have seemed.
I seem to remember that you were not allaowed to go unless I went as well, you being only just 16. I had to have a crash course on who Hall and Oates were. To this day I reckon 'Gino' is one the great seventies singles.

BrotheRay

rickdog said...

You have a great music blog here! I've added you to my mp3blog list and custom search, check it out.

I've collected over 5,000 mp3blog links, accessible from the alpha menu at page top. You can open frames on these blogs to view them directly on my site, and you can also view the feeds in a frame.

You can search your blog and all the others in my custom google search:

Rickdog's MP3blog search
http://chewbone.blogspot.com/2008/03/mp3-blog-search-results.html