Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Novelty island

OMG, as those pesky kids say, I must have liked this when I heard it way back in 1982 or I wouldn’t have bought it. Unfortunately, like all novelty records the joke where’s thin after a few listens. Having said that there are a few things going for it: the corny DJ at the start is spot on if you were unfortunate enough to hear those annoyingly mid-Atlantic Radio 1 presenters back in the 70s and 80s. I had the misfortune to hear Tony Blackburn on Radio 2 recently and he still talks like this!! Secondly, the chorus is kind of catchy and I’ve always been a sucker for “Wo-oh-oh-oh’s.” Really.

The Dots - Helen In Your Headphones (1982)

By the way, I’ve broken my scanner and had to find a picture of the record on Google, hence the poor resolution.

4 comments:

darkdance said...

Mick Dear, I am sorry to have to tell you that you have really offbeat taste in music. Same as me.

I read somewhere that the marketing mavens at EMI attempted to promote airplay of this fun--some might call it annoying--record by giving expensive headphones as gifts to certain Radio 1 dj's. The ploy proved unsuccessful. The BBC reprimanded the dj's who accepted the gifts and then banned the record. On that basis, you might expect that the song would become a hit, but it didn't and nothing further was heard from the band. I suspect that they died of embarrassment.

Mick said...

I read that to but didn't include it because I'm not sure if it's true. Also, I didn't want to spend too much time writing because I was a bit drunk at the time. That's the trouble with country manor life - nothing to do but play records and raid the wine cellar.

This record came from the same box as Yuka and Sleeping Lions if you remember them. There's at least one more dodgy 45 in there that I'll have to rip one day.

darkdance said...

You've broken your scanner?

But now he's getting older,
He's broken all his toys,
The're sending him on holiday,
With the other naughty boys.
-- David Devant

A bit drunk? Just wait until Mrs. Mick sees the mess you made last night in the billiard room!

Mick said...

The butler will deal with the mess. I'm more concerned about what she'll say if she finds Helen in my headphones.