Friday, 29 June 2007

Contrasting Strangers

You know when you haven’t got much time so you feature a record you don’t know much about and therefore don’t need to spend a lot of time typing? Well, this is one of those but don’t let that put you off – it’s a good one in the gloomy eighties tradition fairly similar in style to early Black (aka Colin Vearncombe) material.

The Light was Brian Atherton who sings and plays all keyboards. He had previously been a member of Box of Toys who recorded a session for John Peel’s show in 1983.

Other contributors to this record are Linda Wright on backing vocals, Des Tongue on bass, Jerry on guitar and Mr Small on oboe. The oboe gives it a slight China Crisis feel.

mp3: The Light - Contrasting Strangers

4 comments:

Alan said...

Mick - I love you! I've been looking for this song for years. I haven't hears it sine the mid eighties; Radio City (in Liverpool) used to play it a lot.

You've just made my day, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Mick said...

Glad to hear that, Alan. I consider this blog to be the modern equivalent of having your mates round and saying "listen to this" or "I bet you haven't heard this for ages".

iamnotthebeatles said...

Hello Mick,

Thanks for that - I enjoyed that.

I have also just posted a song you can listen to by The Light called 'Pride Of Winning' over at

http://www.iamnotthebeatles.com

I am going to put you in my links, if this is OK with you, as your post here helped me track Brian down (to Brazil, no less).

All the best and thanks for a really interesting blog,

Ian TB

Mick said...

Hi Ian,

That's an interesting site you've got there. I'll return the compliment and put you on my links.