Saturday, 9 June 2007

Let there be light




On Friday I promised Davy H that my next post would be my number 1 lost classic from the 80’s so here it is. Can it possibly live up to such hype? You decide.
mp3: Fiat Lux - Blue Emotion

Fiat Lux were a band from 1982 to 1985 whose members were David P Crickmore, Steve Wright and Ian Nelson (brother of Bill Nelson). They released six singles and one mini album called Hired History.

Two of their singles were minor UK hits with Secrets reaching number 65 and Blue Emotion peaking at 59.

Blue Emotion, their 4th single, has long been my favourite “forgotten” single of the 80’s. If you haven’t heard it before I think it is in the same vein as The Cure’s The Walk and New Order’s Thieves Like Us without particularly sounding like either of them but you get the idea, they wouldn’t sound out of place on the same CD compilation.

You would have thought that by now somebody would have gathered Hired History and all the singles and b-sides and produced a definitive retrospective CD of this great band but it hasn’t happened yet. Needless to say if it ever does I thoroughly recommend it and if I’m still blogging I’ll give it a plug.

Sadly, Ian Nelson died on 23rd April 2006, his 50th birthday. I was fortunate enough to see Ian Nelson once playing keyboards and saxophone for Bill Nelson’s Red Noise back in 1979. You can also hear his contribution on several Be-Bop Deluxe songs, perhaps most memorably the sax solo on Ships In The Night.

For more information on the band take a look at the fan website http://www.hiredhistory.co.uk/the_band.htm


Finally, here is a performance of Blue Emotion from a European TV show. Apparently, this single was top 10 in some more enlightened countries in Europe (and New Zealand).




8 comments:

Davy H said...

Now that really is lost - wouldn't have guessed it, haven't ever heard it. Will give it some repeat play on the iPo and see how it beds in. Thanks Mick.

I have one track by Fiat Lux - on an old 'See For Miles' label promo CD - 'Feels Like Winter Again'. Do you know it?

Mr Shuffle chucked it at me a few weeks back and I did that 'Oh, this is good, what is it?' thing.

With the Sylvian connection too there's a Nelson family thread running through your recent posts...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting this up. One of my favourite tracks of the 80s. I haven't heard it since I put the turntable away.
Karen

Mick said...

Karen,

Time to dig out that turntable and records. You'll have a great time.

Davy,

It will be interesting to see how it beds in. I have 23 years emotional attachment to this song so it's hard for me to imagine what it would be like hearing it for the first time.

"Feels Like Winter Again" was their first single released on Bill Nelson's Cocteau label and I haven't got a copy. If you wanted to email it or feature it on your blog that would be cool.

Davy H said...

Mick - I've uploaded it for you. Just go to...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/5/736233/17%20Feels%20Like%20Winter%20Again.mp3.

Mick said...

Davy,
Thank you so much for that. A real lost classic - it's the first time I've heard it. Back in the pre-internet days when you discovered a band there was no resource for looking up back catalogue etc. so I didn't even know this record existed until relatively recently.

Fantastic!! I owe you one.

Davy H said...

No problem Mick.

JC said...

Something new to me. And I have no idea how I managed to miss it. It's rather splendid old chap....

Mick said...

It is splendid and so is the track on the end of Davy's link. There will be more Fiat Lux on future posts.