Wednesday, 6 June 2007

Have you heard the rumour?


I’m still in an unbelievably generous post half term holiday mood so I’m going to give you the third big treat in a row. Right next to my Cowboys Internatonal singles (see yesterdays post) are a pair of singles by The Rumour, which means that apart from being from the same time period I also considered them to be thematically similar. This may seem surprising when you consider they were Graham Parker’s backing band and included old pub-rock stalwarts Brinsley Schwarz, Martin Belmont (guitar/vocals) from Ducks Deluxe, and Stephen Goulding (drums/vocals) and Andrew Bodnar from Bontemps Roulez. However, for their 1979 album for Stiff, the politically incorrectly named Frogs, Sprouts, Clogs & Krauts they went all euro on us. I haven’t heard the whole album but the two singles Frozen Years and Emotional Traffic are excellent. I haven’t got around to digitising the latter yet, but here for your listening pleasure is the moody and unexpectedly synth heavy Frozen Years.

You may be able to get a copy of the album here.

No comments: