Friday, 27 July 2007

It’s not big and it’s not clever…


But it is pretty funny, even if the joke does wear a bit thin over four and a half minutes. This is the b-side of the 12-inch single of Alexei Sayle’s ‘Ullo John! Gotta New Motor? I usually refer to this as the sweary version. For some reason I always thought this would make a good Friday post.

I first heard this some time in 1984 when we were going clubbing and a friend called Gary had drawn the short straw and was driving that night. We couldn’t quite believe it when this came out of his car stereo. He offered to lend it to me so I could tape it and 23 years later I’ve still got it and I haven’t seen him for about 12 years. That’s why I never lend records or CDs to anyone any more.

mp3: Alexei Sayle - 'Ullo John! Gotta New Motor? (Part IV)

11 comments:

JC said...

Bizarre to be reading your Friday post when its still Thursday over here......

Mick said...

I posted it just past midnight because the weatherman promised a break from the incessant rain on Friday and I plan to take advantage. If you see a second Friday post it probably means I'm wet and miserable.

Tutu Vicar said...

In about 1979 I 'borrowed' Physical Graffiti and All Mod Cons from my brother. He sometimes mentions their loss but has forgotten it was me. I still haven't the heart to tell him. Oh God, I'm so bad!

Mick said...

Coincidentally, I've had my sister's copy of Physical Graffiti for nearly 20 years. I have only ever liked about 6 Led Zepp songs and three or them are on side 3 of that record.

John said...

Blimey o'riley! Definitely not the radio edit, that! Excellent blog, by the way.

Mick said...

Thanks, John and I've added a link to your blog (for anyone else reading this that's Too Much Apple Pie).

John said...

Cheers, Mick!

jonderneathica said...

Wow. I used to have a 12" single of Neil from the Young Ones singing "Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom Man", but I had no idea that THIS existed...

Recently saw Alexei Sayle on screen when I rented "The Thief Lord" for my kids. Good film, that.

Mick said...

When Neil sang "Hole In My Shoe" a co-worker had never heard the Traffic original and just thought the strange lyric was part of the "comedy". Turns out he had never even heard of psychedelia.

Requiescant said...

I'm sure I remember reading or hearing that Eric Idle tried to sue Alexei over this track as he felt it bore too strong a resemblance to the track 'Do What John?' on the Python's 'Contractual Obligation' album.
Apart from a couple of lines ending with the word 'John', the songs don't sound similar in the slightest!!!

Anonymous said...

Please repost the song! Pretty, pretty please!?