Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Bass


If you want to talk great bass players the name Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna) has to me mentioned at some point. There are many great examples of his playing (especially on live recordings where he makes up for other JA members deficiencies) but this is a personal favourite. Very melodic with a lovely fat sound that perfectly compliments the mostly acoustic accompaniment.

Hot Tuna - Watch The North Wind Rise (1976)

And for anyone interested I’ve often claimed this as my favourite song of all time. It’s definitely in the top 5.

5 comments:

Casey said...

Thanks for turning me on to something from Hot Tuna! I'm really in the dark with this group. Nice offering!

Mick said...

You’re most welcome, Casey. Glad you like it. Their music can roughly be divided into acoustic and heavier electric songs. As a teenager I liked the electric stuff, now I rarely listen to it but love the acoustic stuff.

davy h said...

Well, that's my first Hot Tuna Michael - it reminds me a little of the things on this, which I think you, (and possibly BrotheRay) would like.

Mick said...

You caught me just as I was about to log off and go to bed. We certainly know how to live it up down here. That CD has Good Shepherd - another of my all time favourites - so if that's typical I'd probably quite like it. I've got the Skip Spence song and maybe the Nick Drake - I've got a Nick Drake LP which I played once.

dugg said...

abso-frickin-lutely....
mr. casady has more tone and texture in his bass lines than most 5 piece bands.
well said!
d