Monday, 1 February 2010

The Evils of Society

This was supposed to be a ‘Sunday Soul’ post but I had trouble uploading to Mediafire so here it is a day late with a change of title. For a limited time only have a listen to two wonderful thematically linked Motown songs. Both are new to me and from The Complete Motown Singles Vol.10: 1970 which Mrs M bought me for Christmas.

Martha Reeves – I Should Be Proud
A brilliant heartfelt performance from Martha Reeves.


The Supremes – Bill, When Are You Coming Back
B-side of up the ladder to the roof with a great Jean Terrell performance.

Both these songs are co-written by Pam Sawyer and I don’t know this for sure but I’m guessing she wrote the words, because both have an almost conversational style: “I was under the drier when the telegram came” and even better “we moved by the Coke machine, oh, so we could say goodbye” which makes them somehow more 'real'.

10 comments:

BrotheRay said...

Ah yes, that old 'Boogie Sunday running into Monday' thing.
Martha Reeves was the real jewel in Motowns crown and The Supremes lost nothing with Ms Ross's departure. Even the cat,comotose in front of the fire,twitched an ear. Great praise indeed.

Mondo said...

The bass line on Should Be Proud is Jameson it his best (along with I was Made To Love Her, Bernadette, What's Going On), yet I've never heard it before, or seen it mentioned in any Jameson list. Incredible!

Mondo said...

Oh and Darling Dear by The Jacksons

Mick said...

Raymond,
'Lost nothing' is maybe going a bit far but I've been into post-Ross Supremes recently. This set also includes the Supremes+Four Tops version of River Deep Mountain High that we used to love. (and how old is that picture?)

Mondo,
Thanks for the link. I remember some time ago reading reading a blog (maybe yours?) about a Jackson 5 song with allegedly the greatest bass line ever but I couldn't remember it's title. It is pretty special, isn't it.

BrotheRay said...

Of course i'm not denying Diana Ross's iconic status, it's just that Diana Ross and The.... tells it's own story. Rather that The Supremes were set free with her departure.
The picture is from Xmas 1978, be very careful with your comments or I may be tempted to reveal more of the print,there are others present(if you see what I mean).

Mick said...

Ah! Am I wearing a Rush t-shirt?

BrotheRay said...

No..not Rush. More of a collars out of jumper Andy williams look.
Truly I was the COOL one back then!!

Mick said...

Andy Williams is cool. I was watching his duets on BBC4 last weekend.

davy h said...

Heaven is place where I can listen to James Jamerson's bass all day; haircut BrotheRay!

BrotheRay said...

Hairloss Davyh!
Hence the 30 years old picture.
I dream of a haircut.