Monday, 15 February 2010

You're my clone...now with added b-side

I always think of this as a companion to the record I posted on Friday. I know I bought them both unheard around the same time and in both cases was hoping for something Numanesque. This one was much more what I had in mind with its cold synths and detached vocal.

Greg Vandike – Clone (1979)

Greg Vandike was from Plymouth and from what I gather after a little Googling was quite well known in the area as a DJ, concert promoter and record dealer. Sadly, he died in 2007.

My Googling also revealed that his mother was June Marlow of The Stargazers who were the first British act to reach number one in the UK Singles Chart. She also sang the Fry’s Turkish Delight jingle so I think this is her (but I don’t guarantee it).

Following a request from MD I have now uploaded the B-side All of the Girls. If you enjoyed Clone I recommend this – it’s at least as good as the A-side, possibly better.

Greg Vandike - All of the Girls (1979)

10 comments:

BrotheRay said...

I actually dealt with Greg when I was dealing with second hand records in the late Eighties, talked over the phone once when I had an ad in Record Collector. Always good to deal with and only sold records in top condition.
He was also in a group called Earth who released 2 singles in 1969 one on CBS and another on Decca. I have the CBS one on a Psych Comp, it's called 'Resurrection City', I think it's fair to say it wasn't your standard Top 30 fare.

md said...

Thanks for this - it's a tune that 'haunted' me for years as I had it in my head since the first time I heard it but it always escaped me in vinyl form. turned up on youtube some time ago. He seemed to have caught the Numan/Foxx coldwave just for a moment...Any chance of hearing the B side?

Mick said...

Raymond,
Well I never knew that. And I bet you didn't know I had this single.

MD,
'Just for a moment' Like it. All the cool kids got the reference. I'll try to get the b-side uploaded before the weekend.

md said...

cheers mate - great blog.

BrotheRay said...

It certainly is a small world.When exactly did you buy this single?
I remember when he first phoned me I was a little annoyed because the phone call was before the Mag was actually on sale,I assume he had a subscription and got it first.
I do remember selling him Nirvana's 'Songs of Love and Praise' for £20 and The Roulettes 'Stake and Chips' LP for £50.He had a big customer base in Japan,probably doubled his money.Selling abroad wasn't quite as easy pre the Web and Ebay.

Mick said...

I bought it in Davids Cards and Records in Farnborough in 1979. I was SO into Gray Numan, John Foxx, OMD, Human League etc that I bought anything that looked like it might be similar.

I've been after The Roulettes Long Cigarette for years. Have you got a copy? You sold the comp it was on you ****

md said...

I seem to remember him doing it on telly on an 'alernative' music show on BBC2 probably.

Mick said...

I think it was 'Something Else' he appeared on but unfortunately I didn't see it.

md said...

yeah that's it. I think he had a keyboard and a "syndrum" and danced a bit .. What a great show, they all went on Joy Division, Siouxsie, Clash..

BrotheRay said...

Yes I do have a copy of Long Cigarette,a nice pristine CD version.and actually I didn't sell that comp, far too many good tracks on it.
Apologies accepted in advance.