Tuesday, 23 October 2007

Even better than the sum of it’s parts…

If I had bought the 7-inch version of Love Action back in 1981 I doubt if I would listened to it’s b-side Hard Times more than a couple of times. It was an ok instrumental but I think the novelty would soon have worn off. However, combine it with Love Action (probably the League’s best ever single) as they did on the 12-inch version and it takes on a whole new dimension. Ten minutes of aural pleasure. I’m glad I didn’t live next door to me in 1981 because I used to play this a lot and loud, particularly the shrieking synths leading to the Love Action intro.

mp3: The Human League - Hard Times/Love Action (Original 12-inch Version 1981)

Buy Human League music here.

Production by Martin Rushent who had the midas touch at the time. More from him in the next post.

6 comments:

Davy H said...

Bless you my son and amen.

Phil said...

You're not wrong - this and the 12" of Tainted love/Where did our love go were definitely the sound of 1981!

Mick said...

Phil, I considered posting Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go as well but it would have killed my bandwidth.

So It Goes said...

I have to be honest and say that to me this sounds very much like two familiar songs tacked together with minimal attempt made at doing something different with them. However, what fabulous songs!!!
PS I used to live above a busman's hostel and the 12 inch of Tainted Love was played at Saturday night discos. At top volume. Every week. For three months. I know that song well.
PPS Switch from your current host (Fileden?) to Media Fire and you won't have to worry about bandwidth any more.

Mick said...

They're certainly not integrated the way Tainted Love/WDOLG were but I like the way Hard Times climaxes and you're already into Love Action, probably my favourite post split track.

I'll have a look at Media Fire but when I try to download from them it takes ages.

M said...

Possibly the first and best ever electronic 12" dance single. Well Ok I'll give you Soft Cell's TL/WDOLG a close second. THL were first with the 'mini-dance-versions-album' tho!