Saturday, 6 October 2007

We woz robbed...


Little bit of a self indulgent post today - hope you don’t mind too much.

Today is carnival day in the small town where I grew up. That was quite a big deal when I was a kid, something the whole town seemed to get involved in either as participants or spectators. That’s me on the right (circa 1975) in my homemade Planet of the Apes costume. The other ape is another Michael who now lives in Torquay and is a regular reader of this blog (you’ll find it much easier when you get your broadband connection, Mike). The certificate I’m holding is for 2nd prize for our age group. 1st prize went to a girl dressed as a witch. Can you believe it? We put so much effort into making these costumes and we’re beaten by a girl in a black dress and a pointy hat (who, incidentally, wore the same costume the previous year). I know I should be over it by now but that sense of injustice still lingers.

The other big thing for us kids was the fair would come to town for three days, so there actually something to do at night. My dad would give me 50p spending money (that was ten bob in his language) and that would last all night. I loved the noise and lights and smell of the fair. The music was supplied by a record player suspended on bungee cords to avoid picking up vibrations. This is one of the records that immediately brings back the smell of generators, candy floss, toffee apples etc. It’s 70’s, kitsch and great loud.

mp3: 5000 Volts - I'm On Fire

Normal service will be resumed for the next post.

8 comments:

Davy H said...

OK, I tell ya, you're right to still be angry because that costume's IMMACULATE and it looks like you even did your hands - ATTENTION TO DETAIL. And Christ! A WITCH!! Come ON!!! I assume she was Councillor Gradgrind's niece or something?

I empathise, in short.

Are you Galen BTW?

Mick said...

Funny you should say that. The carnival is run by the local Chamber of Commerce and her family owned a huge shop at the top end of town. I’m not alleging direct corruption but I think the judges were thinking “oh look, there’s young Sarah” (again!).

As I remember it we were both Roddy McDowall characters. I think we were Galen and Cornelius. We did the walk too, I’m still in character on that picture. Tim Burton didn’t contact us for the remake – if he had it would have been less…um…shit.

So It Goes said...

Congratulations, Mick,for producing a post entirely free of acrimony and jealousy....
I had forgotten this track entirely, but when it leapt out of my speakers, I was transported back to the age of 12, and a carefree life of happiness in a Sussex village, marred only by having to attend a school three miles away which I hated.
When I was 10, I came to primary school dressed as Kwai Chang Caine (Kung Fu). Fact.

Mick said...

Acrimony and jealousy are not part of my philosophy, Grasshopper. As Tina Charles said in her other great classic ‘I Love To Love’.

Davy H said...

I love how when you've used up your bandwidth as Steve has your picture gets substituted for an 'announcement' - the interwebby equivalent of a sign posted outside your house saying 'Sorry, the people at number 23 have not kept their Gas meter topped up'...

Happens to me ALL the pigging time as well. DOH!

I bet Young Sarah's Dad has something to do with it. Bastard.

Mick said...

So that's what that's all about. btw Davy, if you went from Waterloo on your recent trip to Devon you would have passed through this town (always a good idea).

Davy H said...

Paddington though Mick, sadly.

dickvandyke said...

"Not bad considering they're human"