Friday, 14 March 2008

That's nice, dear...



I was so busy celebrating my blog birthday last Saturday that I forgot my mum’s 80th birthday on Sunday. Not in the real world, of course, but in the blogging sense. I had a fairly lengthy piece in mind about how she’s never in when I call because she has a much busier social life than me (which I think is great) and how the family is convinced the character played by June Whitfield in Absolutely Fabulous must have been based on her (with examples to prove it) but I couldn’t find the time.

The song I was going to post was Oh Babe What Would You Say by Hurricane Smith because that is one of the few records I remember her buying. By a terrible coincidence Norman ‘Hurricane’ Smith, former Beatles engineer and producer of early Pink Floyd died (age 85) just a few days before.

So, better late than never Happy Birthday Mum and RIP Hurricane.

Take it away Normal…




In case you're wondering about the title of this post that's one of her catchphrases and it's been said by June Whitfield on Ab Fab several times.

7 comments:

Davy H said...

Well happy bloody birthday Mrs Mama Mick.

I read all those Norman obits this week and probably read that he did this, but it didn't really register until I heard it here.

This is such a song of that time...

Lovely. And to think he produced 'See Emily Play' too...

Mick said...

My mum says "Thank you, dear." Well, she would if she was here.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mick,

Aaah..Magpie,boys going to bed at night dreaming of Susan Stranks...

...or was that just me?

By the way did you know that Normal Smith played the drums on Floyds 'Remember A Day', apparently Nick Mason couldn't manage it...impressed me no end.

P.S.....I'm telling Mother!!!

Raymond

Mick said...

For anyone wondering what my aged brother is talking about check out this clip featuring Susan Stranks.

JC said...

Belated Happy 80th Birthday to Mick's mammy.

Anonymous said...

Mick..
You've made a happy man feel very old...
Now, any Lift Off with Ayshea!!!!

Raymond

Mick said...

So that's why you always watched Lift Off. I thought it was because of Ollie Beak...

For those too young to remember Google Ayshea and see what the fuss was about.