Monday, 11 February 2008

Still rummaging for b-sides…

Here’s a radical idea for a b-side: why not make it a quirky song almost as good as the a-side. As we know that didn’t happen all that often but that just made it sweeter when they did crop up.

Today’s offering, Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Getting) by Devo, is the b-side of their classic (I Can’t Get Me No) Satisfaction. This is one of those singles where both sides got equal play back in my teens and there’s no sign of my tiring of them yet. These songs were re-recorded for the first album with Brian Eno producing and something was lost in the process. Not that the Eno versions are radically different but the 'garage-y' feel is missing. I’m sure if I had never heard the singles I would have thought the album versions were fine.

I’ve no idea how readily available these songs are. They often appear on compilation CDs but there’s usually no indication which versions they are so I stick with my old stiff 45.

mp3: Devo - (I Can't Get Me No) Satisfaction

mp3: Devo - Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Getting)

Buy Devo

1 comment:

JC said...

Its late. I'm very tired. But that is a great couple of songs you've put up. My 7" single has long been unplayable....